Yesterday, my buddy, Lewis Howes semi-jokingly asked me if I was still hungry, or if I’d lost my edge working for ‘corporate.’
He’d alluded to this before, miffed that I could enjoy ‘grinding away for the man.’ I answered, how else, with a blog post explaining why I love my 9-5 job.
Rarely do I work only from 9-5, or even from 8-6. That’s because I’ll always have a side hustle. As I shared in Life’s Treadmill, I’m reading 15-20 blog posts before most people wake up and I’m watching and learning from people significantly smarter and more experienced than me on Sunday afternoon while you’re watching NFL preseason games.
This afternoon, I watched Aaron James Draplin’s “50 Point Plan to Ruin You Career” from Portland’s Creative Mornings.
Here are some of my favorite points from his talk:
- Enjoy the moment
- Eat where there are decimal points in the menu
- Share what you find
- Work with your friends
- Go wherever they’ll send you
- Shed any sense of entitlement
- Provide proof
- Lose the crutch
- Exhibit a little humility
- Quit spending your money on bullshit
- Pay off those school loans now
- Laugh at stuff
- Dream up a plan
- Say what you mean
- Be the client
- Know what really matters in the end
- Question stuff constantly
- Savor the little stuff
- Know what you love
- Don’t forget about the things you hate
- Learn to roll with the good, bad, & ugly
- Work hard and love this shit
- Be thankful for everything
I don’t always know what’s in store. Who knows if I’ll always derive satisfaction from my day job, but I’m playing the long game. There’s typically a plan to get from point A to point B.
In the interim I’m going to keep spending my free time trying to learn from people like Aaron Draplin.
And making sure I carve out enough time to enjoy the moment.
Learn more: Draplin Design Co.